Tuesday, January 22, 2008

You Can Never Beat A Mom

Danny's been sick. Not deathly ill, but phlegmy and coughy and tired. And every time Danny gets sick he calls his mother. The first time he got sick when we were living together, she actually came over with Campbell's chicken noodle soup, gatorade, crackers, and cough syrup. I tried not to be offended that neither of them had any faith in my ability to nurse him back to health, but it didn't work. We have made progress, though. Now he just calls her and she tells him what to tell me to get at the store. Last night the conversation went like this:

Danny: Mia, Mom says you need to get real Sudafed, Ibuprofen and real Nyquil.
Me: Well, we have Aleve, that's almost the same thing as Ibuprofen. And we have Benadryl, you could take that instead of Sudafed.
Danny: *stony glare* Mom says I need real Sud...
Me: *realizing this is not a battle I can win* Yes! Okay! Real drugs. Gotcha.
Danny: And soup. Campbell's chicken noodle.
Me: We have Italian wedding soup in the pantry
Danny: Mom says I need...
Me: Fine. chicken noodle.
Danny: Campbell's chicken noodle. And remember, you have to get the sudafed and nyquil at the pharmacy, not just the over the counter stuff.
Mia: right.
Danny: in the pharmacy.
Mia: I KNOW.
I gather my belongings and head for the door to go to Walgreens. I hear a faint voice as I'm leaving
Danny: Campbell's soup! And you have to go to the pharmacy!
And sure enough, as I walk in the door after purchasing everything on his mother's list.
Danny: Did you get the drugs at the pharmacy?

The joys of living with an only child....

No comments: