Sunday, January 27, 2008

Oh, Hai Teh Internets!

I'm in Pennsylvania. Did I mention that? My grandfather is not doing so well, so my mom and I flew up to see him and my grandmother. He's actually doing better than we thought he was, but I'm glad we came. He's getting confused more often, and he's been falling a lot. They live in an assisted living community, and they have their own apartment, but now that he needs more help they've given him a room in the nursing home end of the complex. Mom brought a bunch of pictures and a cd player because he hates going to that little impersonal room at the end of the day. I think it helped. And despite everything they still have their sense of humor. Today Grandpapa was giving Grandmama a hard time about something, so she snatched away the paper he was reading and stuck her tongue out at him. Then he leaned forward in his slow creaky way and flicked water from his glass onto her. I tried to use one of the computers in their library today, and while I was waiting for it to turn on, I listened to a couple going over some list of people and trying to figure out who had died yet and who hadn't. But this place makes me feel a little better about getting old. When Frank was in a nursing home type facility it was really horrible and depressing. This place is very nice and everyone seems to be pretty happy. Plus, it's a Quaker community so everyone is very liberal. Coming from Arizona where it seems like everyone over 30 is republican, it's pretty funny to me to hear these white haired old ladies talking about how great Obama is. You would think I would lose weight coming here, since it's all cafeteria type food, but essentially the daily schedule is:

9am: breakfast
10am-12pm: sit.
12pm-1pm: lunch (dinner)
1pm-4pm: nap
4pm-5:30pm: sit.
5:30-6:30: dinner (supper)
6:30-7:30: sit.
7:30pm-9am: sleep.

Of course, this was my schedule on Christmas break too, so I can't really complain. I just can't fall asleep at 7:30, since that's like 4:30 my time, and then I have to get up at 8:30 for breakfast, so I've been feeling pretty groggy this whole time.

In addition to sitting, my mom and I have gone shopping. She decided that I was old enough that I needed an actual coat instead of my ratty, faded UA sweatshirt, so I'm now the proud owner of a black parka. I drew the line at a fur collar though. It's fun to pet, but I kept picturing the poor foxes who needed it more than I do.

I'll be back on Tuesday, and it will certainly be a shock to go back to 10 hour days of constant running around!

No comments: