Sunday, January 6, 2008

Such a Drama Queen

I'm terrible with goodbyes. Even temporary goodbyes. Part of it is just that I'm an overly weepy, emotional person in general. Personally I'd greatly prefer a person who you know is going to miss you because they are crying hysterically, than a person who says goodbye in a calm, dignified manner and you aren't quite sure if they'll notice that you're gone. But that's just me. I say this because Danny left for LA for a business trip, and I acted like he was shipping off to Iraq for a year.

I think part of the reason I get so emotional about this is because my mom kind of raised me to be aware of mortality. She told me once to say goodbye to people as if you will never see them again. She'd keep messages of my father when he was out of town, just in case. It's a wise lesson, but I think it's made me a bit neurotic. Especially since Danny's father passed away, I've been a lot more paranoid about death. On the plus side I'm much less scared of dying myself, which was a prevailing neurosis before. Unfortunately, I'm much more afraid of my loved ones dying. Turns out it's easier to lie awake at night wondering about your own demise than it is to imagine your loved ones dying everytime they leave the house. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a wee bit crazy.

No comments: