Friday, February 22, 2008

Little Dog Syndrome




There is nothing funnier than little dog syndrome. I'm watching the Dog Whisperer right now, and Cesar Milan is trying to cure a vicious two pound chihuahua. They showed a clip of the dog trying to attack a fifty pound pit bull, pulling on his leash and squeaking as angrily as possible. Hiccup has little dog syndrome, but only when there's a very secure barrier between himself and the other dog. I just think it's so charmingly optimistic that a dog that can be restrained with one hand (or eaten in one bite) thinks he can take on the world. One time my friend Geoff discovered that Hiccup had snuck onto our dining room table and was trying to consume an entire pizza. I heard the sound of a pommy apocolypse and walked into the room to find a snarling, foaming, writhing Hiccup being held by the scruff of the neck by Geoff. Held with one hand. Because Hiccup only weighs seven pounds. But he was convinced he could take down and eviscerate my 6 foot tall friend.


I think we could learn something from these little dogs. They don't let size or situation phase them, they are totally confident that they can take on whatever stands in their way. And I think it usually works because people are too busy laughing at them, and big dogs are too confused to do anything about it.


No comments: