Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I'm getting OLD

I should be working on yet another paper right now, but I'm not. I'm blogging. And I'm turning 26 on Saturday. I know, I know, that's NOT OLD as everyone who is older than 26 keeps angrily telling me. And I'm not saying it's old, I'm just saying that I think this is the birthday where, instead of saying to myself "Yay! I'm getting older!" I'll start saying "Oh my God, I'm getting older." Maybe it's the biological clock thing. Lately I've been thinking about all the things I want to do before I have kids, and I'm feeling like I'm running out of time. Because, you should probably have kids around 30, right? I mean, I don't want to get done travelling the world, getting my Ph.d, starting my career, and then wake up one day and realize that my ovaries have given up the ghost. Personally, I would like to adopt, but Danny wants a little biological Zamora running around. And I don't want to be 40 years old and not limber enough to play with my toddler, because my joints already hurt at night and I can't sit cross legged for more than 10 minutes before I lose the ability to walk.

Why don't men have to worry about this?! They can produce sperm on their deathbed. It's like God intended them to go around planting their seed in nubile twenty year olds. We need to implant seahorse DNA into men so they have to carry the baby around themselves if they decide to impregnate a twenty year old.

Okay, onto other news: My first internship for school is at the children/adolescent pysch hospital, and I'm so excited! And scared. The person I interviewed with said that she almost never agrees to take on someone doing their first internship because it's such a tough placement. I'm trying to quell the thoughts that I will find myself in over my head. To be honest, my main concern is that I'm going to get attacked by some large teenager. She assured me that I generally won't be responsible to do holds, but you never know, right? My 70+ year old 5 foot tall boss told me that what you need to do is establish a reputation on the floor as being someone who's a really tough restrainer, and then kids will leave you alone. Apparently that's how she avoided having to restrain people in the past. Then she told me a story about doing an assessment on a kid who tried to puncture his jugular with the pen she just handed him. She's not very good at reassuring people.

No comments: