Monday, July 14, 2008

Alter Ego

I've had a secret desire for a while...one that frightens me, and yet thrills me at the same time.

I want to join the Tucson Roller Derby. I want to be a Derby Girl.

I went to one of their matches a while ago, and was captivated. Maybe it was the nachos, the beer swilling crowd, or the idea of skating around a rink wearing an adorable kickass outfit to hoardes of cheering fans holding posters of my derby alter-ego name. Whatever it was, I was hooked.

Until I went to the next match and saw a girl get punched in the face. I've never been punched in the face, and I'm pretty sure I would cry if I did. And then I logged on to their website and saw pictures of grinning, bloodied faces and enormous swollen bruises.

I am not a competitive person. At least, not physically. Put me in a battle of wits and I will beat you to the ground with my mind, or if I'm losing I will at least cuss you out vociferously. But I still have flashbacks of PE classes...we did those relay races where each person on the team had to run down the court, shoot a basket, and then run back and pass the ball to the next person. You know how there was always that one sad kid standing miserably under the basket, desperately heaving the ball at the basket and watching it fly off into space, nowhere near the net while everyone on all the other teams sit at the other end of the court muttering epithets? That sad kid was me. My parents had to have a conference with the PE teacher because of my overwhelming kickball related anxiety. When I found out we were going to be playing softball in middle school I didn't sleep for a week.

But recently I've been having the urge to join a sports team. Initially it was the company softball team, but I can't throw, catch, or bat so I don't think I'd be much of an asset. But roller derby? When I was a kid I literally spent whole summers rollerblading. Rollerblading in a circle which is essentially what roller derby is. That, and pushing other girls. I have a bit of an edge in that too- I have a much larger, stronger husband who I regularly try to tackle to the ground. Granted, I don't think you are allowed to bite your opponents in roller derby, but still.

Plus, with roller derby you have an alter ego. You get a clever double entendre name that you go by. It's like being a superhero!

Anyway, they have a meet and greet coming up, and I'm going to go. I think.

4 comments:

dvrgasm said...

You should TOTALLY go!!! I joined our local league about a month and a half ago and it's been such a great experience! Sure, I was a little intimidated at first, but the girls are amazing and it's been so much fun. You can TOTALLY do it!!!

katohater said...

what will your name be?

i vote for "bearded axe wound"

Mia McZ said...

Kato- That is a filthy name. I'll think about it.

DVR- have you gotten punched in the face during a match? Or broken any important bones? That's what makes me nervous.

ro said...

DVR here...(last time I posted I was on my shared acct. w/ my sister in law.)

When you start, you are fresh meat for 90 days...which means you aren't on a team yet...don't have a name...don't play in bouts. After 90 days you take an assessment and if you pass you are put on a team and can select your name. (I'm about 20 days from my 90)

That said, we still practice with the old meat (which includes blocking drills and the like). I haven't been punched or broken bones...I did pull my hamstring pretty badly, but I was skating again in 3 weeks. And you do fall a lot, but they will teach you to fall correctly, to lessen the risk of injury.

Check out the meet and greet! And let me know how it goes!!!

itwasfunnyinmyhead at yahoo dot com. (I'm trying to thwart the spammers...)