Sunday, August 24, 2008

Two Things I Love

Babies and animals

About a year into my current job as a social worker I thought to myself "at least animals just eat their young. They don't torture and neglect them for 18 years and then set them loose to wreck havoc on themselves and society". This job has made me somewhat cynical. But apparently I was wrong- they take better care of our babies than we do.

But there are some stories that still give you a little hope that maybe we aren't all that bad.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Just a question, since you mentioned you're a social worker. What was your major in college?

Mia McZ said...

I majored in creative writing, and when I graduated I got a job as an administrative assistant for the director of a domestic violence organization. After a few months she discovered that I was terrible at administrative stuff but good with people, and suddenly I was the hotline worker at the shelter. THEN I got laid off because of budget cuts, and decided to see if I could get another job in social work since I loved the hotline job. I found someone else willing to take a chance with me, and now I'm getting my master's in social work

Stephanie said...

Oh, that sounds pretty great. I'm considering that career path, but I'm not sure yet. Thanks!